FLAC, APE and Apple Lossless formats have increased in popularity in recent years because they're all audio formats that lose absolutely no quality unlike formats such MP3 or OGG.
X Lossless Decoder is a three-in-one tool i.e. a decoder, converter and a player for audio files in all of these formats namely, FLAC, APE, WV, TTA and Apple Lossless. It will also play AIFF, WAV and MP3 files. Once you've finished creating your lossless audio file, you can use X Lossless Decoder to convert it to something more universally acceptable such as MP3. Just remember to go into the Preferences and change the file output format from the default of "WAV" to "MP3".
X Lossless Decoder provides support for CUE sheet which can extract and split files. For the technicians out there, X Lossless Decoder uses not a front-end decoder but a library to decode so no intermediate files are generated. The lack of a GUI is a bit strange but when encoding from a CD, select "File" and "Open Audio CD" and you'll see your track listing. It would be better if X Lossless Decoder launched automatically when detecting a CD but it's no major drawback.
X Lossless Decoder is an efficient and highly flexible decoder allowing you to turn all the major lossless audio formats into MP3 and more.
- Supported embedding track list as a MPEG-4 chapter
- Available for ALAC/AAC encoding when ripping disc as a single file. Chapter is supported in Apple's apps like iTunes or QuickTime.
- Supported reading a MPEG-4 chapter as a track list
- Fixed a problem when getting metadata from specific MusicBrainz URL
- Fixed a problem when the null character is included in text tags
- Updated LAME to version 3.99.4